Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Chapter 2: Finding and Getting People to Like You

It's a weeknight but Emmie is just dying for some party life. If she's going to throw one she needs people to invite, though, and her phone contact list is woefully bare. Time to go out!


To the Red Rendezvous, where two paparazzi have spawned despite me deleting celeb levels from everyone in town. They look lost.


Goodwin was always a sweetheart in school, and has filled out a little since then. They dance together goofily a while, and it's surprisingly un-awkward. His kind, simple manner makes him easy to talk to and he seems to enjoy her company with every passing moment.

After a while he smiles and produces a bouquet of flowers. "Let's spend some more time together tonight," he proposes.


"Oh, baller!" Emmie enthuses. "I'm actually thinking of having a party tonight, at my place. I mean, it's not much of a house, just a room with a bed in it. But that's enough for a fun night if you know how to improvise, if you know what I mean!"


"Uh.. wait, Emmie, I think that shirtless guy is getting the wrong idea about your party..."

"What? Oh, no, he can come too. The more the merrier. In fact, could you bring some friends? Guys, girls, anyone's welcome," she chatters obliviously. Goodwin starts to look increasingly creeped out.


"I was just trying to ask you on a date, but if you have some weird orgy planned, then.. never mind," Goodwin says in disgust.

"Wait, what?!" Emmie calls after him, but he's already left.

Catching the eye of another young man who witnessed the miscommunication, Emmie tries to save face. "Would you like to come to my party, handsome? It's definitely not an orgy, I promise."


Hmm. Perhaps best not to follow that up with a wink and a kiss. I'm not sure this interaction is ever successful. The man in the sunglasses scuttles off, looking terrified.

Do I have bad breath or something? she thinks with some irritation.


Keep it together, don't be weird, make eye contact. Emmie coaches herself in the mirror, remembering a chapter she once read entitled "Finding and Getting People to Like You."

Smile. Make small talk. Ask questions. Read body language. Reveal a little more than what they ask, but don't overshare. Express liking, but selectively. It's hard to remember all the rules that go into a social interactions; shouldn't conversation just flow naturally?

It seems so easy for everyone else, but somehow she never seems to be on the same wavelength as other people...

Maybe she should just go home.

On her way back through the bar towards the door, Emmie hears someone call her name.


It's Justin Kayes, another ex classmate. "Emmie Lee, right? I thought that was you." Emmie is distracted by how much older and more handsome Justin looks since his dweeby high school days.

"I'm working at the science lab now," he offers, proudly.

"I know. You post about it all the time on your simsta."

Justin frowns. "It was only a few posts. I didn't know you even had a simsta..."

Awkward silence.

Justin smiles. It's only slightly uncomfortable. "Well, we're looking for some young people to serve as test subjects. Would you like to participate?"


"It's not intrusive," he continues, "just some meds we're testing for side effects. The most you might feel is some body discomfort or mood alteration."

His pleading expression is a little too eager, but it's comforting to see him behave just as awkwardly as Emmie does.

"Will I get paid?"

"Yes!"

Well that decides that. She really needs the money. "In that case, I look forward to seeing you in your handsome white lab coat, Dr. Science," she says coyly.


Oof, finger guns? That's not a super attractive look...


But Justin seems receptive. Into it, even! She gives him her number and he promises to send the details.


Silent fist pump when his back is turned. She pulled off an almost passable human interaction? AND a job opportunity? That's a win for sure.


Celebratory quick drinks make her forget all about her party plans that night.

And after this scene I immediately went into edit town to put a LN bar on this lot. My sims deserve real drinks, quick drinks are simply not gonna cut it.

---

This chapter was going to be a lot longer but my game kept crashing as Emmie was leaving the science facility. I tried to take pics of her at her first day of work but everytime the game reloaded the weather would be different. Ugh.

So... I got fed up and shelved the game for the week. ><


10 comments:

  1. Your sims definitely deserve real drinks! I hope your game starts behaving soon. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you're writing Emmie's socially awkward interactions. She's too funny! Inadvertently inviting sims to an orgy XD Good thing she finally found someone who is equally weird, I guess!

    At what point does your game crash? If it happens after playing for a long while, editing sims in CAS etc. then you might be running out of memory/RAM. Even if you have a fast computer that can handle TS4 well, TS3 might have issues because it's a 32-bit game (instead of 64-bit like newer ones) and therefore can't make use of all your RAM. The best solution there is to simply quit the game and restart your computer, which clears the memory.

    If the crashes happen after you haven't played for that long, it could possibly be faulty CC. Did you download something new recently?

    (Oh, another tip for legacy saves: use "save as" instead of "save" as that helps keep your save file healthy. You can just go into the saves folder and delete the extra files you create from time to time.)

    Either way, I hope you manage to fix the problem! I'm really enjoying this legacy so far and I want it to continue :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irresistible and socially awkward is not a happy combination of traits, it turns out. But if a sim is able to look past the awkwardness, maybe they'd fall for her pretty fast? :O

      Thanks for the tips! My mods folder has been untouched for a few years now, so a lot must be outdated... I've been putting off looking through it, but it might finally be time to go spelunking DX

      Delete
  3. If you're chronically awkward the key to success in social interactions is to meet people just as awkward as you! Good job, Emmie! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very true, if they're both awkward they can't judge each other's awkwardness!

      Delete
  4. Ahahaha, I love the way you write Emmie's accidental sexual innuendos. I feel so bad for her, not getting a chance to actually explain what she means. At least Justin isn't too put off by it!

    I second the faulty CC assumption. Or maybe you haven't deleted the cache files in a while? Those used to wreak havoc on my saves. If you have crash log analyzer it will analyze the crash logs of your game and tell you what caused that specific crash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, glad you're enjoying her pain. The irresistible trait has been annoying in-game, she keeps having romantic conversations with randos and then walking away with the "foot in mouth" moodlet. So I've tried to spin that into some plausible interactions :D

      Yup, I definitely need to do some game maintenance! I'm not a computer whiz at all, so your tips are very helpful.

      Delete
  5. Justin is really cute, and he's awkward like her! This looks promising. Lol her awkward accidental innuendos. XD

    I just use a mod to make the late night bar interactions available on all bars so I don't have to go around town replacing them. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. 10/10 great way to invite someone to a party.
    "Come to my party, it's definitely not an orgy"
    xD

    Ah, Emmie is so cute, and I think she's cute with Justin. They're both awkward and can be awkward together <3

    ReplyDelete